‘Brilliantly researched and sympathetically told, 44 DAYS is more than just a fitting tribute to brave but overlooked heroes. It’s also a top read.’ Daily Telegraph
The epic World War II story of the heroes of Australia’s 75 Squadron – and the 44 days when these brave and barely trained pilots fought alone against the Japanese.
In March and April 1942, RAAF 75 Squadron bravely defended Port Moresby for 44 days when Australia truly stood alone against the Japanese. This group of raw young recruits scrambled ceaselessly in their Kittyhawk fighters to an extraordinary and heroic battle, the story of which has been left largely untold.
The recruits had almost nothing going for them against the Japanese war machine, except for one extraordinary leader named John Jackson, a balding, tubby Queenslander – at 35 possibly the oldest fighter pilot in the world – who said little, led from the front, and who had absolutely no sense of physical fear.
Time and time again this brave group were hurled into battle, against all odds and logic, and succeeded in mauling a far superior enemy – whilst also fighting against the air force hierarchy. After relentless attack, the squadron was almost wiped out by the time relief came, having succeeded in their mission – but also paying a terrible price.
Michael Veitch, actor, presenter and critically acclaimed author, brings to life the incredible exploits and tragic sacrifices of this courageous squadron of Australian heroes.
About the Author
Michael Veitch is well known as an author, actor, comedian and former ABC television and radio presenter. His books include the critically acclaimed accounts of Australian pilots in World War II, 44 Days, Heroes of the Skies, Fly, Flak and the forthcoming BArney Greatrex. He lives in the Yarra Valley, outside Melbourne.
- Brilliantly researched and sympathetically told, 44 DAYS is more than just a fitting tribute to brave but overlooked heroes. It’s also a top read. – DAILY TELEGRAPH
- should be part of Australian military folklore. – ADELAIDE ADVERTISER
- An entertaining and comprehensive tour . . . Few readers will remain unmoved. – SYDNEY MORNING HERALD on Michael Veitch’s THE FORGOTTEN ISLANDS
- compelling – SYDNEY MORNING HERALD on Michael Veitch’s HEROES OF THE SKIES
- A rich and enjoyable island-hopping journey. – SUNDAY HERALD SUN on Michael Veitch’s THE FORGOTTEN ISLANDS